[Caption: Sunset on Boca]
The Reno Wheelmen cycling club put on a fantastic Twilight Road (every Tuesday April – August roughly) and Mountain Bike series of races (http://www.renowheelmen.org). My favorite among them is the Boca Road Race which is one of 3ish tracks the road series rotates through. Why is this the favorite hmm let me count the ways:
· It is in Truckee not Reno which means ride to/from the race or a short drive
· It is a road race
· It is beautiful scenery and light traffic – stunning sunsets, etc. (pardon crappy pics from phone, but better than no pics IMO)
· It is short and hard and awesome training
· It is on Tuesday evenings so super time efficient w/ respect to work, family, etc.
· You always get to race w/ a bunch of teammates and see local race crew and meet new folks, etc. Last night I raced with then warmed down w/ Peter Taylor – who in addition to being a Truckee local and incredibly strong Masters racer is also a principle in the OB GYN practice that helped deliver our two kids . . . yeah Truckee rocks and riding w/ Peter post-race against a backdrop of setting sun over Boca w/ broken clouds and fresh snow on the peaks all around lit up in the alpenglow (on May 11) is the kind of moment where you’re feeling good and connected
Anyway, winter won’t let go, Truckee got 6-12 inches of snow on Monday, and Tuesday was blustery and windy and cold, etc. Peter told me 38 degrees per his bike computer. One Boca race has already been cancelled due to snow this year and this one was at risk but it went off w/ the A’s at 6:15 very tight, nice. I drove out, did a long warm-up, hoped I’d recovered a bit from Berkeley Hills on Sunday, then warmed up in my car until the start. Ended up in the second group w/ maybe 7? over the Wall w/ three off the front including teammate Jesse (who is just in another world good on him) . . . Conrad and I sat in and tried not to piss off our friends who were chasing hard while not realing in Jesse . . . I dropped a chain at the wrong time (nice one idiot) and my chase group was gone rode home w/ a cool dude in a UNR kit again to the stunning backdrop then got smoked in our friendly two up sprint for the line maybe 10th-ish overall or something.
Can’t wait for better weather and Boca Tuesdays where I roll out of my garage on the bike, hook w/ a crew downtown, ride to the course, race, ride home in the sunset, eat half the kitchen, pass out, etc.
[Caption: Carson Range Alpenglow and the racing road!]